Statement of Institutional Effectiveness

Statement of Institutional Effectiveness

St. Joseph’s Seminary is committed to implementing its various degree programs, which enroll two types of students: on the one hand, those who are studying for the priesthood from the Archdiocese of New York, the Diocese of Brooklyn, the Diocese of Rockville Centre, and various communities of Consecrated Life; on the other hand, lay women and men, ordained clergy, and those in Consecrated Life.

The first group, made up of seminarians, is eligible for the Master of Divinity (M.Div) degree and the Bachelor of Sacred Theology (STB) awarded by the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome (Angelicum). Those who maintain a 3.0+ average and with the permission of their Religious superiors may also apply for the Master of Arts in Theology (MA Theo).

The second group is eligible for the Master of Arts in Religious Studies (MARS) and Post-Master’s Certificates in Sacred Scripture and Dogmatic Theology. After July 1, 2013, students belonging to this second category will be eligible for the MA Theo and the MAPS, as the MARS degree program ceases to admit students.

Program Completion Rate:

Over the last ten years the two categories of students have had the following program completion rates (NB: the M.Div requires on average four years, and the MARS degree on average five years, to complete):

Category No. 1: 76%
     New enrollees in the M.Div degree program, 1998-2008: 140
     Seminarians completing their degrees, 2002-2012: 106 


Category No. 2: 77%
     New enrollees in the MARS degree program, 1997-2007: 202
     Students completing their degrees, 2002-2012: 155

Program Scheduling Dynamism:

All of the seminarians (Category 1) who completed their Master of Divinity between 2002 and 2012 have gone on to ordination and service as priests in their local diocese or Community of Consecrated Life. The employment rate for this category is 100%.

Students pursue the MARS degree (Category 2) for a variety of both personal and professional reasons. 79% of our graduates have obtained positions in pastoral ministry at local schools, parishes and church-based agencies. Among the remaining 21% are those who offer pastoral service on a part-time or volunteer basis in their local parishes and dioceses, and those who earned their degree for the purposes of individual theological and spiritual enrichment.

Contact Us

St. Joseph's Seminary
St. Joseph's Seminary
201 Seminary Ave.
Yonkers, NY 10704
P: (914) 968-6200
F: (914) 376-2019
E: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.